Communications Director and Public Information Officer for the City of Clermont, Clermont, FL, September 2018-Present: Oversee internal and external communications for Lake County’s largest city. Liaison with the media. Produce news releases and newsletters. Give presentations, write speeches, oversee social media, manage brand and reputation.
Digital Marketing Specialist for TAG Digital Marketing, Orlando, FL, October 2017-September 2018: Helped businesses increase sales via social media pages, ads and online reputation management.
Founder and Producer of Stories Remembered LLC, Clermont, FL, September 2017-October 2018: Recorded and preserved life stories. Produced Clermont Magazine website, social media and newsletter.
Social Media Manager for The Villages Florist Inc., The Villages, FL, March 2017-January 2018: Created multimedia marketing content and ads for Facebook and website to build online presence, increase sales.
Reporter for Orlando Business Journal, Orlando, FL, November 2016-March 2017: Conducted interviews with industry leaders. Wrote timely stories with photo/video elements on deadline. Managed Twitter.
Managing Editor for The Villages Media Group, The Villages, FL, January 2013-November 2016: Hired as a reporter and promoted four times. As Associate Manager of News, managed seven beat reporters on tight deadlines. As Managing Editor of The Villages Magazine (monthly) and Grandparents Magazine (quarterly), oversaw three full-time staff.
Copy Editor for The Seminole Tribune, Hollywood, FL, November 2011-December 2012: Polished copy, designed pages, took photos and covered news for print and TV. Managed website and social media.
Bachelor of Science in Journalism from the University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, May 2011: Magna Cum Laude, minored in Business and Leadership.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization, media relations, staff development, team building and high-quality production on deadline. Strengths in generating and developing story ideas, interviewing, writing, editing, brand and reputation management, photo, video, design, web and social media.
Recognized by Florida Public Relations Association, Inland Press Association, Florida Magazine Association, Florida Society of News Editors, Florida Press Club, Florida Press Association, and Society of Professional Journalists.
- Florida Public Relations Association, Mid-Florida Judges Award & Award of Distinction, Institutional Video, 2020.
- Florida Press Association, 3rd Place, Business Reporting, 2018.
- Florida Press Club, 1st Place, Special Awards – That is so … Florida, Class D, 2017.
- Florida Press Club, 1st Place, Writing – Government News, Class D, 2017.
- Inland Press Association, 2nd place, Explanatory Reporting, Circulation 10,000-49,999, 2016.
- Florida Magazine Association, Silver Award, Best Single Cover Photograph, All Consumer Magazines, 2016.
- Florida Society of News Editors, 2nd place, Community Leadership, Division C, 2016.
- Florida Press Club, 2nd place, Lucy Morgan Award for In-Depth Reporting, Class B, 2015.
- Florida Society of News Editors, 3rd place, Features & Arts Writing, Division C, 2014.
- The Villages Daily Sun, Executive Editor’s Award for modeling core values, 2013.
- Society of Professional Journalists, award for excellence, Spring 2011.
- Peter G. Gordon/Sun-Sentinel Scholarship for performance, 2009–’10 and 2010–’11.
- University of Florida, featured photographer in PhotoUF, a campus exhibit, Summer 2009 and 2011.
Honors & Appearances
- Presenter on behalf of the City of Clermont for Lake County Trails Update, 2021.
- Presenter on behalf of the City of Clermont for Titusville Chamber of Commerce’s St. Johns River 2 Sea Loop Summit Webinar Series, Trail Town Spotlight, 2020.
- Panelist at the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association’s News Industry Summit, discussing millennials, media habits and the future of newspapers, 2013.
- Guest speaker at the University of Florida’s Multimedia Writing course, discussing interviewing for jobs and reporters’ relationships with public relations professionals, 2013.
- Company recruiter at University of Florida’s and University of Central Florida’s job fairs on behalf of The Villages Media Group, 2013.
- Company representative at The Villages Middle School career fair on behalf of The Villages Media Group, 2014-16.
- miQuest Senior Leadership Training: monthly course on leadership by the Corbin Group, 2020-’21.
- miQuest for Excellence: 12-week course on business leadership by the Corbin Group, 2019.
- Lead Your Way to Success: seven-week workshop series, including core values, motivation and change management with David Benzel, 2014.
- Excelling as a Manager or Supervisor: day-long workshop on effective leadership strategies by SkillPath Seminar, 2014.
- Project and Time Management: day-long workshop on prioritizing and getting the job done well by SkillPath Seminar, 2014.